Dawn of the Bed
What's Dawn of the Bed?
Dawn of the bed is an annual “garden-a-thon” that brings together teams of coworkers, friends, and family who fundraise to support our Home Gardens program and celebrate the seasonal holidays of Halloween and Día de Muertos, and support fresh food access for all.
Growing Gardens brings together communities to work TOGETHER so that EVERYONE has access to food that is nutritious, affordable, culturally-appropriate, and grown using practices that care for the health of the earth and the people that grow it.
With the recent pandemic, economic hardship, food security and health are some of the most pressing issues facing our community. Now more than ever it’s essential that people have access to the tools and education to grow their own food.
How Does it Work?
1. Register your team by calling 503-284-8420, emailing: email@example.com, or registering online (deadline September 24th)
2. Recruit 6-8 friends, family members, or co-workers to join the team *individuals can also sign up without a team
3. 2-3 team members attend one of the (2) orientation and fundraising training on either.
4. From October 8th to October 30th compete* against other teams to raise $1,000 or more (*some businesses prefer to “sponsor” their teams instead of fundraising) The winning team will receive a grand prize (stay tuned for details!)
5. In most years teams come together at the end to build gardens and celebrate. Because of the important social distancing measures to reduce COVID-19 exposure, all in-person gathering is TBD until we know the state’s recommendations.
6. We will plan an in-person celebration of the efforts of all teams and individuals when we are able to gather without risk.
Virtual Event Orientation
What: A fun and participatory virtual event orientation & grassroots fundraising training
Purpose: Meet other teams, learn more about the work of Growing Gardens and the Spring Dig-in, learn & practice new skills.
Who: Team Captains and at least 1-2 team members (more are welcome!) and individual fundraisers
Donations are tracked through an online portal. Event sponsors provide matching donations as competition incentives.
Week 1: $300 match for the team that raises the most in the first week
Week 2: $200 match for the team that receives the highest number of donations
Week 3: $500 match to the team that signs up the most recurring (“Perennial” donors
Garden Build - On Hold
Unfortunately because of the recent pandemic, we are unsure if we would be able to bring teams together to build gardens as we have in the past. Please stay tuned for changes and other ways to be involved.
For more details and to sign up Contact Rashae@growing-gardens.org or 503-284-8420