Growing Gardens uses the experience of growing food in schools, backyards and correctional facilities to cultivate healthy, equitable, communities.
Our Mission and Programs are guided by our Values, which we believe are self-evident:
- All people have a right to healthy, culturally appropriate food;
- Individuals and communities are strongest when they have the knowledge and skills to provide food for themselves and their communities;
- The need for healthy food is universal and must be adapted to the special needs of diverse populations;
- Learning and applying gardening skills adds financial benefits to individuals and communities;
- Respecting our environment, and promoting the interconnectedness of all things, improves the quality of life for everyone.
Growing Gardens is a 501(c)3 organization that teaches gardening skills and builds organic vegetable gardens in homes, schools and correctional facilities in Oregon. Our staff and volunteers support children, adults and families with garden beds, supplies, seeds, plants, mentoring and other resources. We serve people who have limited access to safe and nutritious food, and we empower them to become healthier, more physically active and self-reliant––thereby contributing to stronger, more sustainable and vibrant communities.
“Researchers have found that where we live – and the conditions in which we are born, live, learn, work, play and age – determines our health.
These conditions, known as the social-determinants of health, are not a matter of personal choice. Rather, social determinants of health are shaped by economics, politics and social policies that favor some and not others. The end result is that people have unequal access to the basic opportunities to grow up happy and healthy. These inequities are systemic, avoidable and unfair, and result in vast differences in health status, mortality rates and distribution of disease. We can change these inequities, but we have to start by building healthy communities.” — John Hopkins Urban Health Institute, 2013
Please consider making a gift to Growing Gardens today. We appreciate your help in fulfilling our mission.